Custom Search

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gifting Like An Educated Pauper

So, I've decided to modify the scope of my gift giving this year. I've been focusing more on individuals and their potential likes and dislikes, rather than setting a dollar amount on how much I should spend. Seriously, who expects the world of others around this time of year when the country is in a recession and everyone is trying their damnedest to get through it. Considering that I don't know many people who are literally hard up for dough, I'm feeling less like pity giving and more like giving them something that will better them and not cost a lot. Books, cooking utensils and useful electronics are along the lines of what I'm contemplating.

I have been thinking so much lately, not just about gifting, but about saving, investing and buying a home. I feel like even though we're in a recession, there are even more reasons to live agressively, especially for a person at my age and of my circumstances.

I feel like if I play it safe, I lose. How are you feeling in the recession right now? Are you thinking big, or just thinking how to survive?

2 comments:

ashley said...

I agree, I don't think anyone is expecting too much out of the holidays this year... except maybe children of course.

Good for you for wanting to start saving for a home! I think that's a good move right now. The market probably won't go up too much in the next few years, so you should still be able to buy a home at a lower price and wait for the value to increase.

The recession hasn't hit me too hard, yet. I don't really have to worry about my job, and the only things that hurt me are the increased gas and food prices. So I'm living about the same as I always have... for now.

Anonymous said...

I'm investing in high-risk stocks because I feel the same as you - now's the time to do it. We're young and have 40 years or so until retirement. So why not?

But I do worry about job security and stuff like that. Hubby and I are pretty safe but I don't think anyone's truly recession-proof, so it's just a matter of waiting to see what happens. And being glad for every day I have a job and a car and a place to live.

t.