Custom Search

Friday, September 5, 2008

Hone in on what you want

More chicken or the egg talk today. Upon further investigation into career paths for people with my interests, when I look at agencies or firms, there are several tiers of operation. A public relations firm, or ad agency, or marketing company have lots of layers that make them work. For a hard working person trying to get experience and make connections, putting in serious hours and effort at a smallish corporation could be quite beneficial.

I know I like to write a lot. I also like to analyze and brainstorm. I do not, however, like to manage. I don’t like finances too much either. So, where I’m at needs to develop into a more creative role while I’m here. I’m working on this with my supervisors and I think they’re eager to see me develop.

But work needs to be done and I’ll do whatever needs doing, so I may not be able to focus on professional development all the time. This is why I try to freelance as much as possible outside of work. I absolutely need the money but I’m also taking my skills and portfolio into my own hands so that when I make the jump closer to my “dream job” I’ll be all the more prepared.

I’ve just got to stay out of management and finance. Bleh!!!

No comments: