Custom Search

Monday, September 15, 2008

Identity Theft is Bad!


I woke up today feeling good after going to bed quite early last night. Today is the 15th day of the month, which means pay-day. When I got to work I checked my Bank of America account and it was depleted to almost nothing. My student loans are on automatic withdrawal, but there is no way I should have this much money after getting paid.

After investigating my online statement is showed PayPal had requested an $800.00 fund transfer and then another $500.00 transfer. I was furious because this had happened before about two years ago and I thought it wouldn't happen again.

Apparently someone has accessed my checking account and email and is trying to withdraw hundreds of dollars at a time. I froze my PayPal account and contacted my bank. The bank says a claim has been filed and that I won't be held responsible for any overdraft charges if a check or payment goes through. I have been forced to change all of my information and shut down my checking account though. I just opened another one over the phone and bought some insurance against credit and identity theft. It's not a bad deal, just $12 a month for over $25k in coverage.

Both Bank of America and PayPal were moderately helpful. Neither gave me great confidence that I was going to come out of this clean. But both acted professionally and quickly.

This sucks. I finally got my account in order, my bills have been paid and I just need my utilities checks and student loans to be paid and I'll be all set until next month. Such a hassle. Not a good way to start the week.

I'm assuming this will be resolved by weeks end with no real financial loss on my end. I hope this isn't wishful thinking.

Wish me luck!

No comments: